Discount-Banner

How-To-Candle-300Did you know that a candle has a memory?

This is very important to know, and if the candle is extinguished before a full melt pool (a melt pool is when your soy wax is melted across the entire top of the soy candle) is achieved on the first burn , the subsequent melt pools will not go past the first burn ring.

When you light your soy candle for the first time it remembers how far across the surface it melted. For best results, good scent throw and longest enjoyment of your soy candle let your candle surface get a full melt pool before extinguishing it on the first burn. This will set the candles memory and avoid the candle tunneling down the centre. It will also prolong the burn time of your candle. (Times may vary depending on room temperature and environment.)

A general rule of thumb is to burn the candle for one hour for every inch the candle is in diameter. Eg. If it is 3 inches in diameter you will need to burn for a minimum of three hours on the first burn to achieve a full melt pool.

Keep your wicks trimmed and centred

You must always keep your wicks centred!

If they are not centred this will result in uneven burning of your soy candle. If you find that your wick is not centred,  you will need to extinguish the soy candle with a candle snuffer or wick dipper and while the soy wax is still soft position your wick in the centre again. Always remember to centre your wick each time you extinguish your candle.

Using a wick trimmer or sharp scissors, always keep your wick trimmed to ¼ inch or 7mm before lighting your soy candle. Using a blunt trimmer or scissors will split the threads causing the wick to mushroom excessively. If your wick has a mushroom type head on it after burning this is caused from a build- up of carbon and is found on almost all fragranced candles. You can help to eliminate this build-up by following the burning and wick trimming instructions.

If you use a wick dipper to extinguish your candle you are coating the wick with wax each time. This wax coating helps to protect your wicks and stops your soy candle from smoking as it does when you blow it out. When a candle is blown out it will cause the wick to smoke and may cause soot to attach to the warm rim of your candle jar. For best results use a wick dipper or candle snuffer to extinguish your flame.

Be sure not to trim your wick too short as this will result in a small flame and the melt pool will not reach the edge of the candle jar. If this occurs extinguish flame and pour some of the excess melted wax into a safe container and relight candle.

Soot?

No candle is completely soot free.  However  soy candles create much less soot and more importantly none of the toxins like the ones found in paraffin candles. Typically,  black soot is caused from a smoking candle. A common cause is that the wick has not been trimmed.

Safety Instructions

Caution should be taken when burning any candle.

You should never burn candles for more than the recommended time. This is usually between 2 – 4 hours. Do not burn glass containers for more than 2 to 3 hours at a time as any longer than this may cause the glass to overheat and crack which could mean melted wax leaking out of the cracked glass jar.

Our convenient travel tins will get hot whilst burning candle. Make sure they are burnt on a heat resistant surface. Recommended burn time for 2oz travel tins is 3 hours at any one time and 6oz travel tins 4 hours at any one time. We don't recommend longer burn times for travel tins as they can become EXTREMELY HOT.

  • Do Not allow water or moisture to mix with the wax as this may cause splattering and popping of the wax.
  • To prevent hazard or injury please follow these instructions and warnings.
  • NEVER leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Keep out of reach of children and pets.
  • Burn on a heat resistant surface.
  • Do not burn candles close to drafts or open windows.

Soapherb cannot be held responsible for any damage resulting from the misuse of any of our products. Please adhere to burning instructions. All candles have a warning label on the base, please read it!

Enjoy your candle!